HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Striker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:10:42 -0500
I certainly didn't mean that it is more "anthropological" to accept dowsing,
and, although I've seen dowsers be successful, I wouldn't necessarily
recommend it as a method to be used in archaeology.  I also wouldn't expect
any remote sensing method be used without being complimented by other
methods (such as excavation or archival research).  Certainly if one is
using a metal detector, it would be poor methodology to ignore areas where
the metal detector didn't show anything.  My comment on perspective was
directed more towards the tone of the responses rather than the content.
Calling a dowser self-deluded or referring to it as voodoo is probably not
rooted in cultural relativism.

Voodoo works through a combination of pharmacology and belief.
Phamacologically, a practitioner can put a victim into a coma that appears
to be death.  To a scientist, the victim is simply in a chemically induced
coma, but to the participants, the victim has died and is brought back.
That is a distinction created by the belief system of the observers.

While all archaeologists apply scientific methods to their work, some are
more prone to cultural relatavistic thinking in their work and in their
daily lives.  The discussion of dowsing reminded me of the current debate in
the SAA Bulletins between those supporting integration of Native American
perspectives and oral history in archaeology and those who attribute little
or no value to that perspective.

Your comments below show that you are clearly approaching the issue from a
scientific perspective.  Unfortunately, when phenomena are not easily
explained scientifically, science offers a poor, and often unscientific
explanation, which is required by the belief system.  Shamanic healing seems
to work.  From a cultural relativist perspective, it works because the
shaman has healed the patient, or induced healing through spirit guides.
Scientifically, explanations are offered that rely on the patient believing
that it works, so their immune system benefits from a positive attitude.  If
the simplest explanation is the correct one, which explanation is simpler
depends upon one belief system.

Maybe dowsing works, maybe it doesn't.  If an investigator is out to prove
that something doesn't work, he'll likely be able to do so.

Michael Striker
ASC Group, Inc.