HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:43:31 -0500
At 8:56 AM -0600 11/29/00, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Does anyone know which texts on slag were being referred to here or can
>anyone send me an example of how slag analysis program has been handled and
>by whom?

The archaeological literature of slag can be a bit daunting. I would
start with the journal Historical Metallurgy, and the Journal of
Archaeological Science. Here are a few specific citations that I have
used:

David Sim
1998
Beyond the Bloom: Bloom refining and iron artifact production in the
Roman world
BAR International Series 725

The bibliography to this recent publication is useful as a starting
point in historical metallurgy. The old standby is:

H. G. Bachman
1982
The identification of slags from archaeological sites
Occasional Paper No. 6, University of London Institute of Archaeology

Most slag studies may have dealt with iron-related sites. Non-ferrous
slags are not so well known, but there are historical metallurgists
interested in them, who could be found readily. Reports on ancient
metalworking sites should contain slag analysis as a matter of course.

--
Ned Heite  ([log in to unmask])