HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:26:35 -0500
I have to agree with James H. Brothers IV's comments on industrial
archaeology     I am not an industrial archaeologist, nor to do I want to
become one, but I have deep respect for scholars who have studied all the
boring details connected to the history of technology. (boring to me anyway)
In my region, I have seen too many of my colleagues who do not have this
respect, or perhaps they don't even know that this knowledge exists out
there beyond their anthropological noses.   This point was driven home to me
when I watched a true Industrial Archaeologist go onto a site and, because
he was familiar with the industrial process that once existed on the site,
he was able to discover a great deal about the site.through just a few
strategically placed test units.    Unfortunately, I've also witnessed the
more generic CRM archaeologist   entirely grade away a similar industrial
site only to produce a report  on the percentages of ceramic types found.
The waste made me heartsick, so I can't imagine how it makes my industrial
archaeology colleagues feel.   Many of us in the US. were "raised up"
believing that our anthropological training was some sort of holy grail, but
seeing this from another point of view has curbed my arrogance.

Linda Derry ([log in to unmask])
Old Cahawba Archaeological Park
Alabama Historical Commission