From:
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 22:25:44 +0200
William Strother" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Don't forget the various analyses that have been done in recent years using
>Beethoven's hair.  I seem to recall these analyses indicating that venereal
>diseases did not appear to be found in his blood.

No, this is a misunderstanding.  On technical grounds such research is
not possible.  The only (counter)proof that can be found is the presence
of traces of stuff that was used in his days as medicine for such diseases.
In one word: mercury.  There are no traces of mercury in Beethoven's hair,
at least not in the lock that was cut from his head after his death and
finally researched in the period 1996-1999.  See for more information:

   http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/beethoven/index.html

Joyce Maier (mail to: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask])
www.ademu.com/Beethoven