From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 00:44:43 -0300
I want to share a good new with the list.  Last saturday (august 11th) at
the Reformist Church of the Estonian Congregation in Argentina, took place
the premiere of my first choral work:  "En l'an trentieme", for SATB.  It
was performed by the Youth Choir of Grupo de Canto Coral (JGCC) conducted
by Mtro.  Pablo Piccinni.  We had a guest choir with us in this concert,
the Grupo Vocal Zahir, conducted by Diego Boero.  The program was full of
Mateu Fletxa, Max Reger, F.  Poulenc, and some argentine composers.  My
work was commisioned by the GCC Youth Choir.  Originally, they had in mind
to perform this year a program dedicated to "Ensaladas" from spansih XVI
century (Mateu Fletxa etc), but they wanted also to perform contemporary
"ensaladas" written "ad hoc" by young composers.  As you know, the
"ensalada" is a musical gender in which there's a mixture of texts in
different languages and a mixture of styles.  I took a lot of texts of
Villon, Shakespeare, Petrarca, Carmina Burana, Maurice Sceve, Pervigiluim
Veneris, etc., and later I organized them in this way:

   En l'an trentieme de mon age
   Que toutes mes hontes j'eus bues
   Ne du tout fol, ne du tout sage,

   Mesto, stanco e spirante
   Dal duol' che m'opprimea
   Rivolto a gli'occhi miei
   Cosi dicea:

   ?Quando ver venit meum
   Quando faciam uti chelidon,
   Ut tacere desinam?

   Perdidi Musam tacendo
   Nec me Phoebus respicit
   Sic Amyclas cum tacerent
   Perdidit silentium

   Respondit Amor:
   Homo, quid dubitas?
   Quid me sollicitas?
   Non sum quo mussitas

   (quot mille millia qui dicunt talia:
   "O quando erimus, tecum in gloria")

   .nec in euro, nec in austro
   Nec in foro, nec in claustro

   O cunning Love!, with tears thou keeps't me blind,
   Lest eyes well-seeing thy foul faults should find,
   For I have sworn thee fair and thought thee bright
   Who art as black as hell, as dark as night.
   But thence I learn, and find this lesson true:
   Drugs poison him that fell so sick of you!

   Tant que sur moy le tien ingrat froid dure
   Mon espoir est denue de son herbe
   Puis retournant le doulx Ver sans froidure
   Mon An se frise en son Avril superbe

   Ma s'egli aven ch' anchor non mi si nieghi
   Finir anzi'l mio fine
   Queste voci meschine,
   Non gravi al mio signor perch'io il ripreghi
   Di dir libero un di tra l'erba e i fiori:

   "Drez et rayson es qu'ieu ciant e. m demori"

The result was a 5' of tonal music, which is very long for a single "a
cappella" work.

I have a MIDI file, and soon I'll have an Mp3 of the premiere recording.
If anyone wants to take a look, just write me out of the list.

Pablo Massa