From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 02:45:51 +0200
Satoshi Akima wrote:

>The first big surprise came in the form of his mono 1950 recording with
>the Vienna Symphony of J.S.  Bach's Mass in B Minor.

I take it that you are referring to the recording with Loose, Ceska,
Burgsthaler, Dermota & Poell? I have another Scherchen B Minor Mass on
LP (I dont know if it has been reissued on CD) with Alarie, Merriman,
Simoneau, Neidlinger and the Orchestra of the Vienna Opera.  I am quite
sure you would find this one interesting as well.  I have been listening a
lot lately to the two recordings I have of Scherchens Art of the Fuge, the
1965 version with the Toronto Chamber Orchestra and the stunning 1949 one
with the Orchestra of Radio Beromunster.  The Art of the Fuge was a very
important work to Scherchen and I know that he recorded it at least two
more times but have never been able to locate them in whatever form.  Any
ideas? Instrumental versions of the AoF that I had gotten used to regard as
*the* performances most relevant to us today (Goebel & Alessandrini) seem
to pale compared to Scherchens....

Philip