From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:39:21 -0500
Don included the St. Matthew Passion on his list of favorites.

About a month ago, I made it a point to listen to some of Bach's vocal
music.  I write "made it a point" because I thought I liked Bach's
instrumental music better than his vocal.  Well, after listening to "Les
Plus Belles Cantates," Harmonia Mundi HMX 2908091.95, several times while
enduring New Jersey traffic, I came to the conclusion that not only did I
like the vocal music, but that, from what I've heard, Bach wrote some of
his most beautiful music for the cantatas.

Right now, with my car player, I'm listening to the recording conducted
by Otto Klemperer with Pears, Fischer-Dieskau, Schwarzkopf and Ludwig (EMI
ZDMC 7 63058 2).  Even though I am not familiar at all with the words, the
singing and the accompaniment is very beautiful.

I'm wondering how this recording stacks up against other recordings.

Thanks.

Ron Chaplin
Iselin, NJ, USA