Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 01:29:42 -0500
Pablo Massa wrote:

>I've seen that Herr Fischer-Dieskau hasn't been mentioned often in
>this (till now) short thread.  I don't think that he *must* be mentioned
>necessarily, but this silence about his person intrigues me.  I throw the
>glove, like Don Quijote with the portrait of Dulcinea: who in this list
>dislikes FD's Winterreise or Schwanengesang or whatever, and why?.

There isn't anything to dislike about FD singing anything, but for a long
time, he was one of only a few choices, and he recorded the damn thing 15
times (perhaps I exaggerate).  I think it's the old addage that familiarity
breeds contempt.  FD is so omnipresent in the world of lieder singing that
he is easily taken for granted.

Kevin