Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:35:53 -0700
From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
David Harbin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Dear All, I have long been wanting to hear Beethoven's late string quartets
>and finally bought a 2 CD set from a slae bin (Budapest String Quartet, rec
>1940 & 1942 on Sony Masterworks Heritage Mono).
>
>I have quickly become hooked on this music.  The penultimate quartet is
>my favourite, especially the glowing slow movement and energetic finale.
>
>However, can I ask if there is a better version I should be listening to?

The Budapest's 1940s set is very very good and the sound IIRC isnt' bad
either.

As to the AB's:  many people find their approach too 'slick' especially in
their first, studio cycle.  The second, recorded live, is better but IMHO
they are not amongst the finest.

The Italian Quartet (Philips) are (late 60s), as are the Busch Quartet
(1930s EMI or Pearl, but no Op.130 until they moved to the US, I believe
it was on Sony) and the Hollywood Quartet (Testament - 1950s).

If you want a first-rate modern set of all the quartets, in very good
sound, superbly played but without the slickness of the ABs, the try the
Orford Quartet on Delos.  I find their Grosse Fugue a bit too refined
though.

Deryk Barker