From:
Gretchen Ehrenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:31:21 CEST
It is my understanding from reading Daniel Goldhagen's "Hitler's Willing
Executioner" that anti-Semitism was so endemic that for Herr Wagner NOT
to be so would have been the anomaly.  I know my parents when they were
growing up in the 1930's harboured no more or less anti-Semitism than the
average Catholic in Bavaria.  My grandfather who was friendly with Richard
Strauss, once told of a discussion they had regarding the fate of Jewish
musicians in the various choirs that my grandfather led.  They both agreed
with the need for the Jews to get out of Germany, but I always felt it was
for their personal well being, not a "juden aus" situation.

Rachel Ehrenberg
Los Angeles