From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:49:43 -0700
It seems that everything we encounter will eventually be classified
somehow.  Atonal music, liberal or conservative democrats, high-end or
low-end are just some classifications I hear every day.  I think some
are more a matter of personal opinion than others but that's just the
way things are when one has choices.  Having said that, let me get to
the core of this posting.

Does it seem possible that one class of music is taken more seriously
than another? (For purposes of this posting I am limiting my meaning of
the word music to only include what is generally considered classical or
art music) Being a composer myself I have been subject to harsh criticisms
of my music.  What has always troubled me is the basis for the criticisms.
I don't recall when someone said I wrote out of range for the oboe or
wrote passages too difficult for the trombone.  Almost 100% of all negatives
heaved at my music were because it sounded like Bach or like Beethoven (not
like their quality but like their harmonic/melodic/rhythmic language) or
something along those lines.  People (esp.  other composers) were quick to
judge my music immediately because of the style rather than what I had to
say.

I don't want this posting to be about me specifically but I would like
to hear some opinions on the matter.  I feel certain that someone would
be taken more seriously from the start if the person listening heard
something more atonal or 21st century or maybe something along the lines
of a chainsaw hooked up to a digital delay.  My question, again:  Are
some kinds or classes of music taken more seriously than others?

Wes Crone