HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
ned heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 07:42:54 -0500
Bill Liebeknecht wrote

>Be very very careful what you call worked glass. Glass has a tendency to
>produce an edge that looks worked or used when trampled upon.  I can show
>you many examples that looked worked but are not.   Break a bottle outside
>and step on it (with boot on of course) and check out the fragments you may
>be surprised.

Cara Blume conducted an extensive study of worked versus accidentally
broken bottle glass. The results of  her study will be published in
the Bloomsbury report, soon to be released by Delaware Department of
Transportation.  We found dozens  of   pieces of glass that appeared
to be worked. After Cara's analytical work, we were able to reduce
the collection to a handful that were certainly worked.

If you want a copy of the Bloomsbury report, wait a very short while.
The text-only version is on the DelDOT website.
--
*  Compost is nature's *