From:
David Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:06:32 -0800
David Harbin wrote:

>What other recordings of this fine orchestra would others add to a
>must-hear list?

Others have mentioned the outstanding Kempe-Strauss sets, and I likewise
recommend them all.  There are a couple of other recordings I'd like to
mention.  Unfortunately, as the Dresden Staatskapelle has recorded heavily
for EMI, many (most?) of their recordings are not available.  But they've
recorded so much, there's still plenty to choose from.

The top recommendation I can make is for the complete set of Brahms
symphonies on BMG/RCA Eurodisc (3CDs, 69220).  Kurt Sanderling's Brahms has
been highly praised over the years, and this set demonstrates why.  The set
also includes the Tragic Overture and Haydn Variations.  Though it's been
available for years at about $15 (i.e., Naxos prices or slightly below),
it's currently listed at Amazon at mid-price.  I recommend it at either
price - in fact I've given a copy of this set to several friends over the
years, and they've always been blown away by the performances.  According
to Amazon, this is a virtual best-seller.

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000000FL6/classicalnetA/

Wolfgang Sawallisch had a great deal of success conducting the Dresden
Staatskapelle in performances of Schubert.  Philips has released the
complete symphony cycle in two 2-disc sets (446536 & 446539) at near budget
prices ($16 per 2CD set), filled out with a few overtures played by Leppard
and the LPO.  Especially those who do not know Schubert's first four (and
much less frequently played) symphonies would do well to pick up the first
volume at the very least.

   Vol. 2: Sym 5, 6, 8 & 9
     http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000041CX/classicalnetA/
   Vol 1: Sym 1-4 & Overtures
     http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000041CW/classicalnetA/

I will mention one out-of-print disc, as it's one of my very favorites,
not just of Dresden Staatskapelle recordings, but of any recording.  It
also links with another topic we've been discussing, Jeffrey Tate.  And,
who knows, it might be available in other markets, or as a cut out or
used disc.  Just in case, here's the info:

   EMI - Angel CDC7474782    DDD  Rec. 1986  63:51

Tate's recording of Schubert's Symphony #9 completely blows me away.
Of course, it's not hard-core HIP, or even soft-core HIP, but he does take
all repeats, I believe, which I think is necessary to maintain the balance
of the work.  But it's not just that he plays all the music, it's what he
does with it.  The energy and insight he brings to the performance is
totally enthralling.  I have recordings of this work by Walter, Abbado,
Furtwangler, Munch, Wand, Barbirolli, Mackerras, Goodman, and Szell, and
each has its merits, but this is the one I've returned to more often than
the rest.  As far as I know (a cursory search) it's the only recording of
the ninth by the Dresden Staatskapelle, but that can't be right.  With
Suitner there so much, they surely have played and recorded it under him.
Anyone have any info/opinions on other Schubert 9th's by this orchestra?

While we're on the topic of symphonies, the complete set of Bruckner
symphonies directed by Eugen Jochum was released by EMI (9CDs, 73905) to
great acclaim.  Jochum's earlier set with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
and the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra on DG (9CDs, 429079) generally
gets a higher recommendation, and as the first integral cycle on record
it's an important document in its own right, but I prefer the consistency
of vision and execution I hear in the later EMI set, and I think the
world-class playing of the Dresden orchestra is at least a consideration.

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004YA0T/classicalnetA/

Finally I'll mention a concerto recording I've enjoyed quite a bit.
Peter Rosel is not a major name, but his performances of the two Weber
piano concertos and Konzertstuck is outstanding.  Originally recorded in
1986 and released by EMI at that time, it has since been reissued by Berlin
Classics (1058).  Here the Dresden Staatskapelle shows how well it can
accompany with Herbert Blomstedt at the helm.

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000035LT/classicalnetA/

Dave
http://www.classical.net/