From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:36:49 -0600
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>We're obviously hearing two different groups.  The "emotionless" part,
>while I don't see its point (that is, the performances stir emotions in
>*me*), at least I've heard before.  What comes out of left field is the
>complaint about tone.  Most people complaining about the Tallis Scholars'
>tone say it's too beautiful.  That, at least, corresponds to something I've
>heard.  As to why they're placed on a pedestal by choral people: flawless
>intonation, a beautiful tone, clarity in all the parts, stamina in long,
>challenging works.

Sorry Steve, but we will have to agree to disagree.  To my ears the TS
are deadly dull as there is absolutely no rise and fall to the line.  It's
simple mono-pretty, with no particular attention to the details and message
imbedded in the texts.  As for the TS being too pretty, I don't get that at
all.  Endless hours of straight tone singing is not pretty to my ears, and
as a professional singer, I know full well that that flawless intonation
you mention wouldn't last an entire concert if it were live.  Sure, with
countless breaks in a recording session they can keep that vocally
devastating straight tone in tune, but, every live group I have ever heard
can't make it past intermission without going flat because of the fatigue
caused by completely unnatural straight tone singing.  The voice was simply
not meant to work that way, and when it is forced to do so, it cause an
absolutely hideous sound.  As a professional singer AND the artistic
director and conductor of a professional chamber choir, I will tell you
that I simply will not allow my female singers to put on those vocal
straight-jackets.  It's damaging to the voice in the long run and produces
what to my ears is a hideous sound.

Kevin Sutton