From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:36:53 -0600
Roberto Strappafelci wrote:

>I have always appreciated Summerly's recordings on Naxos, except maybe
>for G. de Machaut (some flatness in my opinion), even if some professional
>singers friends of mine consider them well below the Tallis Scholars or
>the Ars Nova (a Danish group I think, but I may be wrong)

Ars Nova, conducted by Bo Holten is a very fine group indeed, but I simply
do not understand the pedestal upon which the world or choral music places
the Tallis Scholars.  They certainly deserve credit for spreading the
gospel of some fine and sadly neglected choral music, but the incessant
straight (jacket) tone of their women and the insufferably emotionless
renditions they present of very very emotional music is beneath criticism.
It's a false ideal that is painful to listen to.

Kevin Sutton