From:
Todd Michel McComb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 10:25:49 -0800
John Smyth writes:

>I discovered an import of the work sung by Emma Kirkby and Nigel
>Rogers--accompanied by instruments with Rooley at the helm.  I
>couldn't find a review of the Rooley.  Either? Or? Both?

This performance is quite dated.  The choice of instruments does not
reflect current research, and the vocal style is very 20-years-ago.  Unless
you're a Kirkby/Rogers fan, I'd stay well clear.  You might actually want
to consider the Naxos recording of this work.

>Also, how does Savall, (my current mid-priced early music hero),
>compare with Coin in Marias' "Suitte d'un---hang on while I get
>the rest of the spelling---gout Etranger?"

Savall has that special pioneering quality, but much of his solo work is
also dated at this point.  You're going to find a wider range of technique
and color in Coin's recent disc.  Note that Coin played second viol for
Savall many times.

Note also that the CD section of the Early Music FAQ has details of pretty
much everything you've mentioned.

Todd McComb