From:
Richard Tsuyuki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:29:38 -0500
Hello, I'm a newbie to this list with some years of classical musical
training (mostly piano) and a pretty basic appreciation of classical music.
I have a question that some of the list experts might be able to answer.
In the Sunday, Dec.  31st edition of the Washington Post, Philip Kennicott
describes a new orchestral work by Michael Kamen, a Hollywood movie music
composer, and completely trashes it.  The article can currently be found on
the internet at:

   http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61518-2000Dec28.html

He goes on to discuss issues of popularization vs.  corruption, compromise
vs.  purity, etc.  He then states: "But what Kamen did for the NSO is the
same thing that Sony Classical, for instance, has done for the long and
distinguished history of the music recording business.  He undermined
aesthetic values from within by playing to the inferiority complex of the
people who should defend those values."

Does anyone know to what Kennicott is referring regarding Sony Classical?
I also didn't really understand what he was saying about inferiority
complexes.  Would anyone care to voice their thoughts on the difficult
future of classical music, struggling to maintain quality and relevance
in a world dominated by pop culture? By the way, I haven't heard Kamen's
piece.  Also, if this has already been discussed, I apologize for
unintentionally flogging a dead horse.

Richard Tsuyuki
Virginia, USA