From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:19:14 -0500
Originally Barry Murray inquired:

>>>Greetings to the list.  Can anyone suggest or recommend a CD recording
>>>of Vivaldi's Cello Sonatas? I do have on order the Naxos set of his Cello
>>>Concertos, but I would like to add the sonatas to my library also.

Ken McGuire first responded:

>>Of course your milage may vary, but I have enjoyed the Christopher
>>Coin/Hogwood recording.

Mats Norrman then chimed in:

>I haven't heard this recording.  Do you know of some site which provides
>more information on it, soundfiles etc...

  L'Oiseau-Lyre 421 060-2

  "Six Cello Sonatas, op. 14"

  Christophe Coin, cello; Christopher Hogwood, harpsichord; Ageet
  Zweistra, cello; Eugene Ferre, baroque guitar; Tom Finucane, archlute.

  Released in 1989.

I wanted to look this up anyway because the only Vivaldi performance by
Coin and Hogwood I'm familiar with is the cello concertos.  I wasn't
familiar with their recording of the sonatas before.

Mark K. Ehlert

 [I think the point is that this particular recording is long out of
 print.  Ever since the demise of L'Oiseau-Lyre was announced, the
 future of this former Polygram sublabel, now part of Universal, has
 been difficult to figure out.  As far as I can tell, there are less
 than two dozen L'Oiseau-Lyre releases currently available in the US.
 I have about three times that many in my collection.  I too recommend
 the Coin/Hogwood recording, but those interested in an HIP performance
 will have to look to Pieter Wispelwey and Florilegium on Channel Classics
 6294:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000003UYN/classicalnetA/

 or Anner Bylsma and company on Sony Vivarte 51350:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004W5A0/classicalnetA/

 or even David Watkin, Helen Gough, and company on Hyperion CDA66881/2:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002ZY1/classicalnetA/

 This last is the most complete recording of the cello sonatas I know
 of, containing nine of the ten sonatas that might be attributed to
 Vivaldi.  It includes three additional sonatas beyond the six rather
 doubtful sonatas of Op. 14.  I wonder why it is that RV 38, the only
 work missing from the Hyperion set, is so neglected on CD. -Dave]