From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:11:11 +0100
Just received the following via another List.  Posted by
E. Randol Schoenberg":

   We just received the following fax, signed by UCLA Chancellor Albert
   Carnesale, which needless to say makes us very happy and we thank
   all of you who have supported us in this effort:

   October 19, 2000

   Dear Messrs. Schoenberg:

   UCLA takes great pride in those pioneer educators who helped build
   and sustain this university and who are the cornerstone of our
   reputation for academic excellence.  We honor their achievements and
   their commitment in a variety of ways throughout the campus.  Arnold
   Schoenberg was such an individual.  preeminent composer whose body
   of work is celebrated worldwide, he has left us a beautiful legacy
   of music that has indeed withstood the test of time.  I deeply regret
   the errors that occurred internally at UCLA that resulted in the
   decision to remove his name from the auditorium of the Schoenberg
   Music Building.  I want to inform you personally that UCLA intends
   to honor our commitment to professor Schoenberg's memory by restoring
   his name to the auditorium.  Further, we will be releasing a public
   statement to that effect.

   I appreciate your forbearance.

   Sincerely,

   Albert Carnesale