From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:07:18 GMT
John Smyth writes:

>I've been eyeing Davitt Moroney's French Suites on Virgin Veritas.  Gram
>likes them, but Donald Satz found some moments gratifying and other moments
>difficult to live with.  So now, after living with this set for awhile Don,
>have you found that the rocky moments in your relationship were more "you?"
>or more "Davitt?"

When I did my survey, I initally did not like the Moroney performances,
particularly the first Suite.  As the survey progressed, my opinion
started shifting and continued that way to the point where I re-listened
to his performances from, I think, the first two Suites.  Based on the
re-listening, I adjusted upward my initial Moroney ratings.  In Part 6
of my survey, I concluded that Moroney's version was the best by a slight
degree over Hogwood and Jarrett, and that these three easily were better
than the piano versions surveyed.

So, the rocky moments were more "me" than "Davitt".  His set, at mid-price
or even at full price is an essential purchase as far as I'm concerned.
The angularity of his performances is something special, but if you like
things done smoothly, Jarrett's the answer.

Don Satz