From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 03:15:44 -0300
Bill Pirkle:

>Could someone enlighten me as to what public service music critics perform.
>How is life better with them here? What kind of music world would it be if
>there were no music critics?

Musical criticism is just another literary gender.  It has its own
aesthetics and one can enjoy it in itself.  It implies, of course, that it
can be subject of criticism, as every other discourse.  In the worst cases,
it becomes a branch of soft journalism, and here lies a confusion: a true
musical critic is not intended to be a public server.  Does people who
publish poetry at the newspapers be reputed as "public servers" too?.

Pablo Massa