From:
Robert Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:43:58 EDT
The Saturday night performance clearly proved why Symphony Hall has to
be one of the premier concert halls in the world.  Balance, resonance,
definition, tone, clarity all close to perfection.  Every nuance of this
great work was clearly audible.

Almost thirty years ago I attended my first concert at Symphony Hall.
My initial reaction was a visible disappointment.  Very hard seats, drab
interior etc.  Soon I realized that this is a very special space on the
planet.  So much so that I traveled over 100 miles one way to Symphony for
every Saturday night concert for over fifteen years.

Recently I moved to the Boston area, and again a full Saturday subscriber.
Based on Saturday evenings concert, the BSO is in great shape and remains
one of the world's great orchestras.

I attended Ozawa's first concert at Symphony Hall as Music Director.  He
has taken his share of knocks over the last few years but in my opinion has
developed into a great conductor.  He has led many magnificent performances
during his tenure including the Saturday night concert.  Ozawa has grown
considerably, in my opinion, in his depth of feeling of many works.  As
an example his performances of Peter Grimes a few years ago at Tanglewood.
This was not the same Seiji Ozawa I first heard conduct over twenty five
years ago.

Saturday night the orchestra seemed more engaged and focused with the
Music Director than what has been the norm in the last few years, possibly
because this is his penultimate season as Music Director.  I am looking
forward to the next two years with great anticipation.

Bob Summers,
Wakefield, MA