From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 00:49:14 -0700
I had a more positive experience, but then I am one of Cura's earliest and
nosiest supporters.  I do agree with some of Bob's opposition to "visuals,"
and, at any rate, I always find his reviews of interest.

   Hearing Is Believing
   By Robert Commanday, www.sfcv.org

   What a difference a verb can make, the distinction for example,
   between hearing music and listening to it.  People say, offhandedly,
   that they went to see a concert, the Symphony, when presumably they
   didn't mean they went to look at it but rather that they attended
   it.  Fair enough, usage "corrects" the usual meaning of a word or
   gives it an alternate meaning.

   But, increasingly in this visually-oriented era, many people do go
   to look at the Symphony or this or that recitalist.  A few, I notice,
   even take along field glasses and scan the performer(s) close-up.
   Is it the performer or the performing they're watching? Both I suppose,
   the vigor or intensity or grace involved in the playing as well as
   the facial expressions.  We can set aside the question of how close
   one needs to focus on that and whether producing and focusing the
   binoculars doesn't distract the presumed listener from the music.
   The nature of the visual experience at a musical performance is still
   a matter of interest.

   Quite likely, the sight of a violinist's bowing, a singer's breathing
   and gesturing, a pianist's back/arm/hand movements corresponding to
   the music's rhythm and character acts as a suggestive guide.  More
   significant than dance choreography, the musicians' actions are
   actually leading, controlling the music itself, a connection in real
   time.  I'm not so sure about facial expressions into which viewers
   can read more meaning than is meaningful, expressions which performers
   can feign simply to give an impression that should be evident in the
   music being produced, the humor, the sorrow, the intensity, whatever.

   Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, no mean actress in recital herself and
   always prone to underline her interpretations, as a teacher, was
   highly critical of young singers who, while singing, shook their
   heads slowly to denote "seriousness," "sincerity." In her master
   classes, she insisted that the head remain steady.  She was right to
   catch young singers up on this.  They were imitating TV entertainers,
   whose metier and style has little to do with the art of the art song
   recital.

   Yet audience members do look for visual clues, even though there's
   always the possibility of being misled, of reading meaning into
   grimace or grin that might really signify something as irrelevant
   as gas pain, or annoyance at a missed note, at an errant colleague,
   at coughing in the hall.  Further, being in a form of show business
   after all, performers may play up the visual thing to help "sell"
   the "product." It's often hard to tell in the performance of as
   admired and skilled a singer as Thomas Hampson how much in the visual
   and vocal presentation is his ingenuous, spontaneous, or even considered
   response to the music and text and how much is acting, replaying a
   much-practiced rendition.

   It's important to understand the difference or to be aware that there
   is a difference.  Sometimes, it is enough to be openly receptive and
   let one's own responses be convinced by the musical performance, not
   by the singer's gestures and expressions.  Often, I will look away
   and not see the performance, relying on the listening to convince
   me.  Definitely I do that when the performer is showboating.  I don't
   want that to prejudice me against what might be a musically fine
   experience.

   In the 19th century and into the early decades of the 20th, solo
   pianists and to a somewhat lesser degree, violinists, indulged in
   extravagant playing styles that became part of their reputations,
   that amplified psychologically the real dazzling feats of virtuosity.
   By the 1940s, the slam-bang, knock-himself-out kind of keyboard
   punisher (I can't think of women pianists who did this) became a
   caricature, identified in movies as The Classical Virtuoso.

   The fad ceased as recordings became more important and artists accepted
   the reality that flinging oneself about, singing along, and all the
   rest of it, threw them out of physical balance and centering, the
   equipoise on which the most efficient and best controlled performance
   depends.  I recall Rudolf Serkin, who in 1946 was a most physically
   hyperactive performer, pounding the pedal with his foot, audibly
   singing, and in general letting it all out.  (This was in a performance
   of Beethoven's Emperor Concerto with an orchestra in which I happened
   to be playing, dumbfounded at his energy and intensity).  At some
   point not long after, Serkin learned to control that, and of course
   his greatness never stopped ascending thereafter, with no loss to
   the listening/viewing public.

   Conductors, aware that the audience's eyes are fixed on them, do
   develop gestural devices for the benefit of the viewers, not of the
   players or the conduct of the performance.  Pointing dramatically to
   the percussion or brass, or to heaven at the very instant of their
   entrance, is more often a signal to the audience than to the musicians.
   They are properly helped by a cue when it occurs a fraction of a
   second before the entrance.  But people do enjoy watching the conductor
   and can derive from that some navigational help through the music,
   being visually directed to a change in intensity or source of the
   sound..

   That's fine.  The live experience of a concert entails and invites
   perception of the entire drama, visual as well as auditory.  It's a
   question of degree after all, your choice whether you allow the visual
   experience to overwhelm or distract from the aural, if you are not
   willing to rely on your ears to hear music.

   Sunday night's TV performance for PBS of the Italian production, La
   Traviata in Paris was as good a demonstration as any of the treachery
   of the visual.  Any reasonably opera-schooled viewer who was really
   attending with his ears had to recognize in short order the mediocrity
   of the effort.  The Violetta, a Russian lyric soprano we have not
   heard out here, Eteri Gvazava, was attractive, sang appealingly with
   an even, smooth voice, and was even a fair actress.  Jose Cura, the
   Argentine tenor, singing in a rough, inflexible, surely not lyric
   voice, was an adequate Alfredo, no more.  The veteran Rolando Panerai
   was a disaster as Giorgio Germont, barking and shouting everything,
   even "Di Provenza il mar," unmusical and thoroughly unsympathetic,
   even in the death scene.

   The comprimario singers were poor, even by the standards of provincial
   opera.  The fact that the RAI orchestra and Zubin Mehta's conducting
   were the only consistently rewarding musical element does not let
   Mehta off the hook.  He was the musical director.  He accepted this
   casting and is responsibility for the musical poverty of the production.

   Clearly, producer Giuseppe Patroni Griffi and director Andrea Andermann,
   thought viewers would be so bedazzled by the cinematography and the
   shooting On Location!!, in Paris at the luxurious Hotel Boisgelin,
   in Marie Antoinette's hamlet at Versailles, at the Petit Palais and
   on the Nle de St. Louis, that they wouldn't notice that it was
   vocally ordinary, even substandard.  Never mind that some of the
   settings were effective.  They were overruled by the silliness of
   many scenes: Violetta and Alfredo meeting like children at play,
   under the banquet table in Scene 2, for a covert kiss; Germont chasing
   the distraught Violetta all over the gardens of Versailles, shouting
   at her the whole while; Alfredo chasing her through the marble
   corridors of the Petit Palais.  It was just dumb, only distracting
   from an already bankrupt experience.

   Opera has always had to face its age-old dilemma-- which comes first,
   the music or the words? In our era, it's the opera or the spectacle.
   For any conscientious lover of opera and of music, the ears have it.

[log in to unmask], SF
Attachments to [log in to unmask]