From:
Philip Jongeneel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:59:29 +0100
Reynier Bordes wrote:

>When I'm looking for a CD I never "see" the cover: only the basic details.
>And then I buy (or not).  I doubt that a classical CD with a nice cover
>sells better.  And if you are searching on internet or or buying through
>mailorder companies you don't see any covers.  Once with the CD in hand,
>I think sometimes: that's nice, or ugly.

Those of us subscribing to the MCML are dedicated classical music lovers
(at least I so hope).  Much of the general public is not.  We buy CDs for
the music.  They do not necessarily do so.  Yet, record labels need to sell
CDs to the general public.  Without such sales, we would see no CDs of
classical music.  Marketing 101 teaches us that much sales is impulse.
What drives an impulse buyer:  1.  Price 2.  The looks of the product!  The
discussion about CD covers needs to take those basic tenets to heart.  We
see the success of Naxos.  Their pricing policy will attract the impulse
buyer.  Other labels need to have a more fancy CD cover:  Attract the eye
and maybe the ear will follow.  Cover design will include many elements,
of which font style, colors, graphics etc.  are all equally important.  As
elsewhere in advertising, sex sells.  Need I mention the likes of Vanessa
Mae.  Even CDs of Ann Sophie Mutter have on more than one occasion resorted
to a more 'sexy' cover art.

If CD labels could sell as many CDs with typed black and white covers as
with fancy covers, they would be doing so.  It would help keep the cost
down.

>sells better.  And if you are searching on internet or or buying through
>mailorder companies you don't see any covers.

I must also disagree here.  e-commerce is predicated on visual impact.
Web sites are getting fancier and more complex.  Indeed, CD covers are
regularly shown, especially for those CDs that the e-tailer is hoping
will move the impulse buyer.  You and I will base our purchase on reviews,
recommendations and discussions...mostly in text formats.  We know what we
want.  The impulse buyer does not.

Philip Jongeneel