From:
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:38:41 +0200
Romantic Pablo Massa, in response to me:

Joyce Mayer (on Beethoven's inheritance):

>>If we may believe Solomon, this was Beethoven's way to try to reconcile
>>with Johanna, whom he actually had loved and wanted as his wife.
>>Speculations, Mr. Solomon, speculations...
>
>Agree...  but that story sounds so beautiful.  When I first read Solomon's
>book (I was 15 y.o.) I believed that this was worth to be true.  I still
>believe it,...

Don't.  Drop this belief and try to face the less romantic truth.
Beethoven's conversation books show that he continued to despise his
sister-in-law until his last breathe.  He never, never showed a trace
of positive feelings.  And it's striking that only after he had won the
battle over the child he finally began to show somewhat mellowed feelings.
However, on his deathbed he did everything to prevent that after his death
Johanna would get her son back!  In general there's absolutely no reason
to take Solomon's remote psychoanalyses (very well put, Mr.  Lampson)
seriously.  Do not get me wrong, Solomon's biography is worth reading,
but his digressions on Beethoven's inner life and state of mind as a man
and human being are nothing more than far-fetched speculations.

>...  but I felt a little embarrassed when I was forced to see (and even
>hear) that piece of celluloid named "Inmoral Beloved".  I felt myself
>corny.

I can understand these feelings very well.  As a bio-pic the movie is
worthless.

Joyce Maier
www.ademu.com/Beethoven