From:
Phil Spressart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:25:58 -0400
You have thrown down the gauntlet and I retrieve it so:

While I admit, the ability to sight read at 100mph (McMillan) is a
wonderful "trait" to have, very few of us as classical musicians can say
we've done nothing to enhance our ability.  95% of the classical musicians
I know, myself included, practice very hard to perfect and maintain the
ability to sight read at a reasonable pace.  I too have had the honor of
accompanying a high school choir, and the proficiency needed to read open
scores can be daunting.  Sight reading is, for most intents and purposes,
an acquired skill, one that requires constant practice and honing.

Phil Spressart
-VoicerPhil-