From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:05:41 +0200
Jan Jarvlepp <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am the culprit who wrote the garbage concerto.  It is a piece for
>percussion quintet and symphony orchestra.  The solo instruments are
>made of recycled garbage (tin cans, glass jars, hub caps, plastic jars,
>a metal can maraca, blowing over bottles filled with water, etc.).

Wow, the composer himself joins the discussion!  What a rare occasion!  I
finally picked up this BIS CD!  The Concerto is very nice (no, I do not say
that because Mr.  Jarvlepp might read this!, its really a nice work).  It
is really fun to listen!  And I think it would be even more fun to *see*
this concerto performed.  But I fear a performance here in Milano is not
planned in the near future!  It is in three sets and sort of a concerto for
percussion and orchestra, though the percussion instruments might be a bit
strange.I was very impressed by the 2nd set, a slow movement, where the
players blow this bottles filled with water.  It has a very mysterious,
romantic feel.  Great stuff!

The *rock-symphony* by Kalnins is a bit different.  In the very
detailed and informative review Hong Yaw Chang suggested to read:

   http://www.inkpot.com/classical/ssogarbage.html

the reviewer writes:  *At some points it sounds like a track from a bad
pornographic movie or some schlocky crossover la "The Royal Philharmonic
plays The Who".....*.  Well its a strange piece, indeed, but as I
understand it was written as a form of protest aginst the Soviet officials
who banned any kind of Western-Rock activities, especially by the composer
himself who apparently had his own band at that time.  Nevertheless, the
whole thing sounds a bit dated to me and this 4th movement with the soprano
really turned me off!  As I understand previous versions had no soprano
there as the Soviets did not want English text (thus Karl might not know
the vocal version).  Maybe I would have prefered the version without
singing.  A masterpiece? Not really!  Historically interesting? Maybe, yes!

Anyway, an interesting disc!

Achim Breiling