From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 01:26:21 -0400
Thanh-Tam Le writes:

>It should be added that he did acknowledge one symphony as being "the only
>real symphony since Beethoven", in 1893 if I recall correctly, and this
>was Hermann Goetz's F-major symphony.  ...far too neglected in my opinion.

Thankfully available in two recordings, though I've yet to hear the whole
thing.  I do hope to.

>...  Ib Norholm and Per Norgard definitely have a central position in
>Danish music, and their symphonies are at the core of their output.  ...

As to Denmark, I assume you are referring only to living symphonists
(otherwise I should consider Holmboe a curious omission, but my reading
skills are not what they could be and especially poor at one in the
morning.)  While I do not personally share the esteem in which Norgard's
symphonies are held (except that I have enjoyed the 2nd) I agree that his
- 7, now? Certainly at least 6; one is being premiered this year, iirc,
but I forget its number- symphonies .are. held in high esteem here .and.
there.  As to Norholm I hope to hear his symphonies, and especially that
enigmatically titled 6th, but have not as yet...

>Here in France, the symphony has always had an ambiguous status. ...

What of Jean Rivier, by the by?  Again I realize you are concentrating on
the still living, but this seems almost as good a place to ask as any, and
he did write 8 quite substantial essays (of which I've heard #s 2 and 5,
and skimmed several more in score.)

>What is true is that interesting recent symphonies come from "unusual"
>countries, such as Finland or Lithuania, or even Spain, where composers can
>take up the form with a freshness of vision, without dealing with a massive
>cultural heritage and feeling compelled to distort the form beyond
>recognition.

There is that.  And when speaking of symphonists holding positions of
respect within their own countries you mention Finland; unless he died
recently- I cannot recall offhand- one should not forget Sven-Einar
Englund!

>I should better stop before it comes to unjustly neglected 20th-century
>symphonists, an endless topic indeed:-)

Even more endless if one gets to the justly-neglected symphonists, of
course (sorry, bad joke), but thankfully of beauty and insight yet to
discover there's still plenty.  Sorry to close on a banality.

Regards!
Eric Schissel