Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 17:01:23 -0800
From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Hello all, a little input please:

Just as I was going to pick up the critically acclaimed, all-vocal
performance of "Tears..." with Herreweghe, I discovered an import of the
work sung by Emma Kirkby and Nigel Rogers--accompanied by instruments with
Rooley at the helm.  I couldn't find a review of the Rooley.  Either? Or?
Both?

Also, how does Savall, (my current mid-priced early music hero), compare
with Coin in Marias' "Suitte d'un---hang on while I get the rest of the
spelling---gout Etranger?" I've found reviews of both, but no reviews
that compare them directly.  Your help would be greatfully appreciated.

I'm really enjoying this early music stuff.  The Savall L'edtion is
wonderful.  Highlights for me include the transporting and potent sounds
of "El Canto de la Savilla II," and the Morales "Officium defunctorum"
and "Missa pro Defunctis."

And if I had to reserve the word "ravishing" to describe only one piece
and performance of music, I would use it to describe Couperin's "Lecons de
tenebres" as performed by Rousett and his two sopranos, Veronique Gens and
Sandrine Piau.  Those suspensions!  (It's like the greatest moments in
Monterverdi--without all the annoying declamation.) Did I say that?

John Smyth
http://facelink.com/j66560