Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 16:58:51 -0300
From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Peter Goldstein:

>Back in the late 60s and early 70s, when I first went crazy for classical
>music, Beethoven was my god.(...)

So was mine also, and still is.

>About 2 years ago, I came back with a vengeance, listening with all my old
>voraciousness, ready to rediscover my old favorites and find some new ones.
>And I discovered, to my horror, that I don't like Beethoven anymore.

Something similar happened to me when I was 22 or 23.  I became
increasingly interested in ancient music, and all my favourites from other
times (Mahler included) were faded out a little.  Later I returned to
Beethoven, and my veneration reached not only the former state, but grew
furiously.  I had absorbed a lot of music meanwhile, but all that music
drived me to Beethoven again, as all paths drives to Rome.  Probably the
same will happen to you.

>I suppose I can admire his virtues from the outside, but he no
>longer reaches me.  Mozart has his emotional depth without any of his
>self-conscious earnestness; Bach has his grandeur without any of his
>bombast; Haydn has his intellectual rigor with a great deal more wit;
>Verdi has his dramatic power with a great deal more beauty.

I rediscovred Beethoven through some of his works that were still unknown
to me.  Those works led me back to my former favourites, and then I saw
them with a new light.  Webern, Schoenberg and Bartok helped in this
process.

>His early works seem bloated--how could I have ever preferred them to the
>best of Haydn and Mozart? His middle works seem pretentious--how could I
>have ever seen the endings of the Eroica and the Fifth as anything other
>than ridiculous? His late works seem sterile--how could the Hammerklavier
>ever have moved me? Even my all-time Beethoven favorites, like the sonata
>Op. 111, the quartet Opus 59, No. 1, the Grosse Fuge, the Eighth Symphony,
>leave me cold.  Everything seems so labored, so unnatural, so forced, so
>willed instead of felt.

Those are just symptoms of the need of a "Beethoven break".  Just take a
rest.

Pablo Massa