Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 17:29:58 EDT
From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> challenges Norman Lebrecht:

>>Klemperer is reputed to have said: 'Listening to a recording is like going
>>to bed with a photograoh of Marilyn Monroe.'
>
>Wasn't this Celibidache?

Comes to the same thing, but the quote that 's in Klaus Umbach's book
__Celibidache/der andere Maestro__ goes,:" Recordings are onanism.  Ersatz
satisfaction.  In bed everybody feels the difference to the real thing."

And the very few times that he permitted Sony to try to see whether they
could make recordings that would pass muster caused the company no end of
trouble and, as I recall, in the end no clearance.

Denis Fodor