Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 05:21:30 -0300
From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
I've been reading De Quincey's "The English Mail Coach", in a Spanish
translation.  It's one of the best things that I've ever read, not only
from this author, but from all literature.  There are some musical details
about this writing that I want to discuss with my dear fellow-listers:

a) What do you think about the title of the last part (Fugue-Dream on the
subject of Sudden Death).  Why "Fugue"?.  De Quincey says that his prose
becomes in that part "tumultuous, as a musical fugue", but I suspect that
there are deeper analogies.  (I have my own theory about it, but I want to
read others first).

b) It's just my impression, or the prose of De Quincey resembles in some
way the musical discourse of Beethoven?,I mean:  those violent changes of
mood, the will of making enormous constructions based on (apparently) banal
material, the obsessive way of carrying a subject --no matter how "little"
it is-- to its last consequences...

c) Does anyone know if the original English text is available on Internet?

Pablo Massa