Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 00:15:17 +0100
From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Renato Vinicius wrote:

>Criticism
>
>I don't agree very that we should concern ourselves with living critics.
>Most critics on work, today, criticizes CDs, not musics. Performers, not
>composers.

Except, of course, the ones who review performances of new compositions.
It does happen.

>New releases, not historical performances.

You will find that with more and more releases these days coming from
archives and re-issues critics are spending a great deal more of their
time on historical performances.

>Singles CDs, not compared performances.

Perhaps you would care to point your web browser at my Mahler survey, (URL
at the foot of this message), to see an example of compared performances
and there are many other examples of that kind of thing to be found in the
major review magazines.

>And most critics just comments few lines on the big Labels new releases,
>feeding the American's consumerism instead improving Art comprehension.

Why mention only American consumerism? Please remember there is a big
wide world outside America too with critics in it and record buyers too.
Consumerist obsessed ones and not.

Tony Duggan, England.
Mahler recordings survey:
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/Mahler/