Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 04:40:20 -0300
From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Denis Fodor, in response to me:

>>A couple years ago, there was an evening program at Teatro Colon (here
>>in Buenos Aires) by the Experimental Center of Opera and Ballet.  They
>>offered Monteverdi's "Il Combattimento..." and Schoenberg's "Pierrot
>>Lunaire" in the same concert.  There wasn't a single ticket available
>>a week before the event.  ...
>
>Not all that surprising.  It happens from time to time, especially when
>sponsored by a group that's not responsible for the regular repertoire of
>the house.

An interesting detail: the Experimental Center of Opera and Ballet belongs
to the Teatro Colon and, since a few years, this section has been taking
some influence on the main repertoire.  In fact, the Colon always showed a
curious (I mean: good, balanced) mixture of traditionalism and eclecticism
in its general repertoire.

>What would surprise me is if someone claimed this to be normal practice
>in the big houses, the Teatro Colon included.

This is far from being the normal practice at the Colon, but it's
moderately frequent.  I wrote about this program (which took place two
years ago) because I remember it with particular pleasure, but there were
another ones of the same kind in this two years (especially those related
to modern ballet).

Pablo Massa