Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 12:57:01 -0700
From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Janos Gereben wrote:

>...MTT's and Nagano's programming (and others, elsewhere, but not on
>a daily basis, in my own backyard) provides -- or imposes -- variety and
>exposes one camp to the repertory of the other.  Or am I missing the point,
>which would not surprise me at all.

The SF Symphony is the only major symphony orchestra I have been fortunate
enough to see/hear perform.  I would most definitely agree with Janos that
the programs are usually fairly diverse in styles often including such
works as a Beethoven symphony, maybe a Mozart concerto, a work by a living
composer(imagine that!) and maybe a work by Bernstein or Messaien.  Not
that this is the kind of balance at every performance but it has been in
the few cases I was able to go(tickets are too expensive for me to go more
than a few times a year).

Anyway, I have been satisfied with the stylistic diversity of the SF
Symphony programs.  However, I would most definitely agree with Donald
Satz that diversity in style isn't total diversity.  I don't believe I've
ever seen a non-orchestral work at SF.  I would love to go and see someone
perform Brahms Op. 76 piano pieces with a nice Orchestral suite or
concerto afterward.  This is the kind of variety that would really make
for a great show, I believe.

Wes Crone