Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:21:47 -0700
From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Donald Satz ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>With the recent discussion of cd prices and cover art which found its way
>into a Hyperion vs. Naxos issue, I came across at a store the new Naxos
>cd of Berwald's Piano Quintets.  Remembering that I had an Hyperion cd of

"An Hyperion" Oh aren't we posh? "No more butter scones for me, mater, I
have to go and play my grarnd piarno." (Sorry, couldn't resist)

WRT Berwald's Piano Quintet, I've not heard the Naxos, but second your
recommendation of the Hyperion.  Fine music.

I will add a couple of points about Berwald:  although his music often
inhabits a similar harmonic world to those of, for example, Schumann and
Berlioz, he was almost a generation their senior; IMHO his finest music
(of what I've heard) is to be found in the orchestral works, especially
the symphonies and particularly the Sinfonie Singuliere, again IMHO a
masterpiece.

Thirdly (amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as...) for a long
time his tenure at the Stockholm Opera was apparently best remembered
because he got indoor plumbing installed (!).

And fourth (stop, stop!  I'll come in again) his Piano Concerto is unique
AFAIK in that the orchestral accompaniment is marked as optional.

Deryk Barker