Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 03:14:07 +0200
From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Mats Norrman wrote:

>I think it was something interesting Dave came up with some days ago.
>I listened to the piece carefully, and it almost made me think of parallell
>worlds in that sence that I wonder if there really is a "mediterrian
>approach" and a "nordic approach" which Alfven once spoke about.

I wonder.  I was talking about this with violinist Jennifer (It was her
birthday yesterday, btw) and we sort of agreed that while it is partly a
generalization, it is definitely true that one's environment affects one's
music-making.  When I'm playing Ravel, and looking out the window at the
sun setting into the mediteranean, and the Mallorcan cliffs softened by
mists, I simply can't help but express that, perhaps unconciously, in my
playing.

We're all American, not Spanish, but we have all spent a lot of time here,
my 8 years in Spain is the shortest time here of any of us.  Suzy's lived
here all her life.  Do we notice a "mediterranean" sound? Hard to say.
I would agree that many musicians from here have an irresistable love for
music, and a deep connection with their lives, but can't you say that about
musicians anywhere?

Interesting, the Ravel, and thank you, Mats, for your comments.  This was
a live performance, and as such includes one or two boo-boos, and the sound
quality is not so great; it was recorded with a minidisc in an acoustically
not-complimentary space.  Anyway, I wanted to put the Ravel on mp3.com,
because I sort of think the more the merrier, and there are some good
things about the recording.  My colleagues were less happy about it, saying
that whatever we put up there should be perfect, that we don't want to
tarnish our image with less-than-perfect performances on mp3.com.

I'm torn.  Part of my whole idea of the Serafino on the web has been to
open ourselves to the world, for people to follow our development.  Ok, so
the Ravel isn't perfect yet but that's where we are right now, this is a
work-in-progress:  OTOH, I don't want people to hear a couple of notes out
of tune and then see our CD in a record store someday and think "oh, yeah,
they played a little out of tune on mp3.com" and not buy the CD.  OTOH,
there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Anyway, a few days ago I somewhat guiltily took the Ravel off the site.
But then Mats wrote his nice note, and so I asked the others for permission
to put it back up and there it is now, but probably for a limited time.

>...but I wonder if Daves (and others) interpretation would in general make
>a good breakthrough in the city where I live, high up in cold Sweden? There
>are different worlds these two after all, almost like the virtual and the
>real...

Well, we would sure love the chance to bring our Mediterranean
sensibilities up to the cold north country!!  Have to see if we can
bring a little Spanish sunshine to those long winter nights in Sweden!

Dave Runnion
http://mp3.com/serafinotrio