Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 01:16:42 GMT
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Steve Martin writes:

>In the past week, I purchased Schumann Quartetts from the St. Lawrence
>String Quartet on EMI and Mozart Piano Ctos. #9 & #25 from Richard Goode
>and the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra.  I have also picked the recent
>recordings of Mahler #3 and #7 on the Teldec label.

Assuming Steve bought the recent recordings on "Telarc", he and I share the
same buying traits on these four issues.  I'd be particularly interested in
Steve's opinion of the Goode disc.

>I say do your part to support CM by voting with your pocketbook and
>supporting struggling artists by giving them the chance they need.  I
>have been very happy with the new music that I have invested in.

These are very reasonable opinions.  There are a host of ways to support
classical music, and buying it certainly sends a definitive message to
record companies - "Give me more".  The problem is that insufficient
numbers of classical music lovers buy it with any frequency.

Steve's comments also bring to light the premise some possess that
the artists/performers of today can't hold a candle to those of bygone
eras.  Of course, many historical recordings are a beacon of supreme
interpretation.  But, I find that many new recordings come close to the
best already on record, and a few each year surpass what *was* best.

Don Satz