From:
Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 11:07:49 +0100
I know that chalkbrood is not the major bee health problem for most
subscibers here but it can be devastating in some regions - Greece or
Bulgaria for example. In many other countries the incidence may be
relatively localised, yet serious. Noone has yet figured out just why, so
far as I'm aware. Climatic factors are of course important but there are
other undetermined cues too.

Vita (Europe) Limited has been examining a biological product, from
University Research, which has great potential in the control of chalkbrood.
It can be introduced with early spring feed so is simple to use. We are
still collecting data so it's a bit early too early to talk of a product.
However, it we may be able to start the introduction of this treatment by
the middle of next year.

Max

Dr Max Watkins
Vita (Europe) Limited