From:
Clement Lo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:51:00 +1000
Robin wrote:

>I agree with his other comments about recordings being necessary for
people
>who live far from urban centers.  But I never understood people who
do live
>in or near cities who do not support their performing arts
institutions
>with their presence.  Collecting isn't a substitute for live
music-making,
>and does real harm to living musicians if it keeps audiences away.
Most
>organizations I know now have some kind of cheap ticket scheme, so
money
>shouldn't be an object to people who can invest the time.
Conversely, I've
>come to believe that the collapse of the recording industry will
ultimately
>prove beneficial for classical music, for it forces orchestras to
focus on
>their communities and paying audiences instead of awards given in
other
>countries.  This shift has already started healthfully in
Philadelphia.

Unfortunately, although Robin points out that there are some
cheap-ticket schemes, often these schemes are for those concerts where
the programs are not as well-balanced or structured as they normally
are.  This is the case with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.  The last
time I went to a concert of theirs (admittedly a year ago now), I did
notice the audience was rather mature and advanced in years, there
were very few teenagers/early 20's in the audience.  One reason is
that tickets sell for a minimum $AUD 30-35 (even with concessions) and
for university students such as myself, that is not cheap.  As a
side-note, when Maazel came out and did the relatively short program
of the Brahms 2nd Symphony and the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra,
cheapest tickets were $AUD 57.  Then as Robin mentions, there is the
time factor.  As a student, I have a job (teaching the piano) and
various other activities, including my local church and the university
orchestra.  Sometimes, students just don't have the time, especially
if we live out in the suburbs.
However, I do agree with him in that, given the number of recordings
that are out there, it is very easy to sit at home and listen to the
boom-box.  I must say for myself that I go when I can and when I can
afford it.

Cheers,

Clement