From:
Terry Newstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:39:04 -0500
Robin Mitchell-Boyask responds to Norman Lebrecht:

>I agree with his other comments about recordings being necessary for people
>who live far from urban centers.  But I never understood people who do live
>in or near cities who do not support their performing arts institutions
>with their presence.  Collecting isn't a substitute for live music-making,
>and does real harm to living musicians if it keeps audiences away.  Most
>organizations I know now have some kind of cheap ticket scheme, so money
>shouldn't be an object to people who can invest the time.

There are other reasons for not attending live performances.  I've had a
nasty chronic cough which has progressively worsened over the past five
years, and do not feel I have the right to subject a couple of thousand
other listeners to the sound of my hacking.  My attendance has dwindled
from 25 or 35 events per year (including opera and ballet) down to barely
one or two, at which I sit so heavily medicated with cough-suppressants
that I am nearly in a stupor.

In spite of wide opportunity and relatively low ticket prices, it is better
for all -- for me, for the rest of the audience, and even for the "living
musicians" -- that I stay home and listen to CDs or to the radio.  Luckily,
one of the options is Minnesota Public Radio, which has a Pretty Darn Good
classical music service <cheap plug -- see my mail address>.

Terry L Newstrom