From:
Constance Shacklock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 22:39:48 +0100
John G. Deacon writes:

>The late great Constance Shacklock passed away in London on 29 June 1999
>- I have her obituary in Opera magazine (9/99) in front of me as I write.
>Alan Blyth wrotes "....but beside her Brangaene it was her imperious
>Ortrud that was most impressive".
>
>So who is this lurker ...  Great story, though.

Mr John G. Deacon (I wonder, does the G stand for Granville, after
Bantock?) makes the common mistake of confusing me with my late husband's
cousin, once removed upwards. Alas, I am but a Shacklock by marriage and
do not have the phenomenal voice of my famous namesake, though I could
nowadays more than match her as to girth!

As a young thing, I did once give cousin Connie some advice on the
management of her steed.  She was at The Garden, giving her Waltraute
in "Die Gotterdammerung" by Wagner; and as a horsewoman of some years
standing, I urged her to secrete a couple of polo mints in her helmet
before she sallied forth with her grey pony (Bumble) onto the set.  On
arrival, and after securing Bumble to the world-ash-tree, she removed her
helmet and slipped the succulent mints into his mouth.  Apparently it must
have worked, for Bumble stayed quiet as a lamb throughout the length and
breadth of Connie's substantial monologue.  I believe Kirsten Flagstad, the
Brunnhilde of the day, said that he was the best behaved horse she'd ever
come across in "The Ring".

It is much to be pitied that so-called 'modern' producers tend to omit
these Noble Beasts from the stage.  I sometimes think that Wagner seems
shoddy without them - but there you are, I'm no expert on Music Drama and
shouldn't really express an opinion!

Mrs C. Shacklock
"Nessun Dorma" villas
Bognor Regis