From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 18:19:14 -0700
Denis Fodor wrote:

>... Salzburg which has pioneered the presentation of modern works by
>Big Music, has poignantly chosen to keep things apart.  The modern music
>is usually played not at the two big houses, but elsewhere (some years
>ago, I attended a Nono concert at the Collegiate church, a massive Counter
>Reformation (!) edifice; but I also attended Ligeti's Danse Macabre at the
>Grosses Festspielhaus).  On the whole, I like it better when the two genres
>are kept apart, for twain they are.

Unless I misremember, John Smyth made a similar observation a few
months ago, and no one took him up on it.  I've been coming to the same
conclusion.  It does explain a lot of responses people have when discussing
the issue, and it does help dispel some of the confusion, as long as value
judgements are kept separate which may not be possible.

One of the sticking points to general acceptance of this idea is that
many people believe that if it's not "classical music", then it's just pop
garbage or some other waste of time.  When I think of this I always flash
on the comedy routine from Saturday Night Live where the Scottish soccer
fans/bar customers are always starting fights because, as they say, "If
it's not Scottish, it's KRRRRRRRRRAP!!".  Anyone who dares suggest
otherwise gets a head butt.  :-)

Dave
http://www.classical.net/