From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:58:46 +0200
I guess at least one member of this discussion group (Todd McComb) will
be delighted (as myself was) to hear about a new CD on the French Forlane
label which features all works for chamber string orchestra written by
Scelsi (all premiere recordings).  These are:  Natura Renovatur for 11
strings, Anagamin for 23 strings, Ohoi for 16 strings and Elohim for 10
strings.  The latter is a short work most likely written in the early
7ties that has not been published or played during Scelsis lifetime and is
usually not found in his work list.  All four are quite essential works in
Scelcis output, who I think is not only by myself considered to be one of
the most unique composers of the 20th century.  In these works he developed
his techniques of string writing into a larger scale, he had used in his
string quartets 2-4 which were written roughly at the same period.  The
Orchestre Royal de Chambre de Wallonie under director Jean Paul Dessy play
this just perfect and as good is the sound quality.  A wonderful disc and
despite its 30 minutes and a bit playing time highly recommended!

Achim Breiling