From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:18:51 +0200
Well, so Satoshi misses profundity in Mozart's operas.  Goodness, I think
the guy is more German than I am and I have got a German passport.  I think
there is a lot of profundity in Mozart's operas but simply presented in a
different way than Wagner presents it in his works.  For me Nietzsche got
it right when he said that Wagner's music sweats.  Listening to Der Ring I
always hear Wagner shouting at me:  "I have got a MESSAGE!  My message is
IMPORTANT, IMPORTANT, IMPORTANT!  Got me? I-M-P-O-R-T-A-N-T!" Mozart just
tells stories and the stories have got the profundity in themselves.  And,
his biggest sin I guess for the Wagnerites, he does it with humour and
grace and lightness.  Well, the finale of Don Giovanni, when the monument
comes in, for me is more moving and more profound than Goetterdaemmerung.
But maybe I am no real German...

Robert Peters