From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:04:42 -0500
D. Stephen Heersink wrote:

>>Handel, on the other hand never wrote a composition for a major choral
>>work of Mass or Requiem, but wrote numerous anthems, and six or seven
>>Oratorios and about an equal number of Operettas.

To which Donald Satz replied:

>Six or seven Oratorios? Schwann Opus lists 23 of them, and there are
>likely a few more.  Handel never wrote any operettas, but he did write
>operas and many more than six or seven.

The number of oratorios is close to 30 if one doesn't count the revisions;
it's well over 40 if one does.

>>With the exception of the Messiah, and the anthem "I know my Redeemer
>>liveth," there's not much memorable as a whole.

"I know..." is an aria from Messiah; perhaps you are confusing the title
with another anthem.

>I think that many of Handel's Oratorios are quite memorable as far as the
>music is concerned.  There's a prevalent opinion that the Messiah is the
>only Handel Oratorio worth very much...

A hold-over from 19th century thought, I think, especially when considering
the number of (sometimes colossel) Messiah performances which took and
continue to take place.

>I can't go with that premise when there's so much great music in works
>such as Alexander Balus, Acis & Galatea, Joseph & His Brethen, Joshua,
>Solomon, Saul, Susanna, Theodora, Hercules, Judas Maccabaeus, and
>Belshazzar.

Throw in Athalia (e.g., opening Act II chorus) and Esther (e.g., the final
chorus), too, for the oratorios.  Other predominantly choral works I would
consider include the Coronation Anthems, the Chandos Anthems, and the great
"Dettingen" Te Deum (a personal favorite).

Mark K. Ehlert