From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:12:18 +1000
Bernard Chasan:

>Recently I heard a cello concerto on the radio (wgbh) by a Baroque
>Neopolitan composer named Leo [...] Does anyone know something
>about this Leo fellow?

Grove advises that Leonardo Leo (1694-1744) "was one of the leading
Neapolitan composers of his day, especially of theatre and church music."
This is borne out by long lists of, to use Grove's headings, serious
operas, comic operas, serenatas, prologues, feste teatrali, chamber
cantatas, arias, duets, sacred dramas and oratorios, other sacred vocal,
instrumental, didactic works.  The instrumental works include six cello
concertos and a concerto for four violins and strings.  His representation
in the catalogue seems pretty sparse, limited to the odd concerto, a motet
and an aria or two.

Richard Pennycuick