From:
Brian Blackwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 11:01:17 +1000
Bill Pirkle wrote:

>There is a great website on sympnonies at this url (no www required)
>
> http://library.thinkquest.org/22673/
>
>Links to composers, timeline, lesson on symphonic form, real audio
>downloads, and an interactive quiz to test your knowledge of symphonies
>and much more.  Its great.  I wish we had such a site on every other form.
>You will want this in your favorites.

I am one of the authors of the above site and would like to say thanks
to Bill for his post.  The site was an entry in the 1998 ThinkQuest
competition for educational websites authored by high school students - we
were semi-finalists, but missed out on the finals and an all-expenses-paid
trip to Washington!:-(

There appears to have been a recent flood of traffic to the site,
culminating in Bill's post (and a Hot Site feature in USA Today).
Unfortunately, ThinkQuest appears to have locked us out of access to
the site so we can't update it at the moment (our personal bios are
particularly out of date!).  There are also quite a lot of major symphonic
composers who we didn't have the time or knowledge to include in the site
when we wrote it (most notably Nielsen, Simpson, Walton, and Rautavaara);
we would love to give similar coverage to these composers.  If anyone is
interested in contributing to a revived Symphony site please let me know.

Brian Blackwell