From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 20:15:46 GMT
Satoshi Akima responds to Robert Peters:

>>When I for one listen to music I do not want to be missionized: I want
>>to enjoy and maybe be moved, that is all.
>
>But this would also be to condemn Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

This constitutes an "all or nothing" approach to a musical composition,
and I don't see the necessary connection.  A person can love Beethoven's
9th Symphony without giving any thought to philosophical messages.  I
love much of Wagner's music and do attach myself to his messages on a
"temporary" basis, while I'm listening to the music.  When I'm done, I'm
also done with the messages.  They serve to make the music more meaningful,
and it's the music that counts.

Don Satz