From:
Simon Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 12:09:00 +0100
I wrote, [and Dave responded]:

>(On a legal note, all magazines and web based review sites can be sued if
>they review CDs that were bought, or in any other way not obtained from
>the originating record company, specifically for review purposes) [In the
>U.S., at least, this claim is nonsense.  In this country we have something
>called the Bill of Rights.  -Dave]

Quite right Dave!  I should have said UK based magazines and UK based
internet review sites.  The lack of a Constitution in Britain which would
(amongst other things) secure the right of freedom of speech (print, film
etc.) has always struck me as one of the main differences, particularly
in cultural terms, between our two countries.

Being a British registered company, IRR has to obey British legal
restraints.  With regards to Japanese CDs I'm sure we can best work
in co-operation with the Japanese record companies.

Bill of Rights or not, I would like to think it is a real 'step-forward'
that an English language music magazine is at last not just relying for
review copies on what happens to be available through distributors in the
US or what happens to be available through distributors in the UK!

regards   Simon Foster